Ignite Talk Rules
- When in doubt, give us a shout.
- Submit your presentation ON TIME.
- NO animation, no sound, no embedded videos allowed! You must have 20 “talk to” slides. We will create your 1st slide if you don’t and it will include your Name, Twitter Id/URL and Talk Title. You will submit 21 slides in total.
- Each slide (starting at slide #2) must be set to 15 second auto-advance.
- NO SALES PITCHES OF ANY KIND!
- Arrive at the theatre ON TIME!
- Agree to and sign the speaker waiver.
- Watch this video of Scott Berkun to get an idea of the format and to get some great tips.
Suggestions for putting your slides together
- Think IDEA Not SALES PITCH!
- Start strong!
- Avoid using a lot of text at all costs! No death by PowerPoint allowed!
- Try to keep it to one idea/thought per slide!
- A picture is worth a thousand words!
- Practice! Practice! Practice!
- Video tape yourself giving your presentation if necessary!
- Practice recovering from a misstep in your talk!
- Don’t worry about an introduction. The MC will introduce you.
- Tell a story!
- For images for your slides try searching www.creativecommons.org or take your own
- For Presentation Zen go to www.presentationzen.com
- To watch previous Ignite Talks from around the world go to IgniteShow
- View the videos from Ignite Charlotte on our gallery page
- Check out this article on how to give a successful Ignite Talk by Jason Grigsby
Presentation format (Mac vs PC)?
If you’re using PowerPoint (Windows), save your slides as PPT. If you’re using Keynote (Mac), please save your slides as a PowerPoint Presentation by using the “Save copy as:” check box in Keynote.
Don’t worry about the 15 second timing on the slides if you don’t know how to do it – we can set that up for you. Just raise your hand when you need help.
The projector will be set to a low resolution so don’t include any super fine details – you should be able to read your slides clearly while standing a few feet away from your laptop. If you can’t see it, neither will the audience.
If you need any help in creating and delivering a presentation that is VOID of sales pitches, or you’re stuck for ideas, send us an email at igni...@gmail.com.